Saturday, December 23, 2006

Darfur & the Jews

What I’m about to write is going to sound very meanspirited, but unfortunately I've come to believe it. From a Jewish perspective, Darfur is an excuse, salve for our collective conscience, something worthy in its own right for sure, but ultimately a diversion. I'll explain.

American Jewry has has been drawn to the issue of Darfur like nothing we’ve seen since the civil rights era of the 1960s. With the rallying cry of “never again,” Jews in America have made the plight of the Darfurians their own. I personally attended Darfur protest rallies this year in Washington D.C. and New York, and helped plan a Darfur-related program in my shul. Both rallies were Jewish-dominated events. Undoubtedly, Darfur attracts us as Jews because of our own victimization in the last century and throughout our history. It’s a good urge to identify with the oppressed, something to be proud of, so what’s the problem? The problem for me can be summed up in one word: Gaza. We’re willing to pour our hearts out for the people of Darfur, but we have very little to say about the plight of the Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, except sometimes to talk about terrorism. Look, I’m not naive. I understand that most American Jews are partisans of Israel in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I understand the urge and feel it myself. But I can no longer accept it as an excuse. We owe it our own sense of morality to show the same compassion for the Palestinians of Gaza as we’ve put on display for Darfur. Compassion in this context doesn’t mean ignoring the real threat that some elements of the Palestinian society pose to Israel. There is no doubting the existence of murderous terrorists among the Palestinians. At the same time, with a true sense of compassion and an honest assessment of Israeli history, one has to admit that there’s blame to go around in the endless war between us and them. The recognition that we’re a big part of the problem would be a true compassionate step, an honest step and a moral one. It wouldn’t instantly resolve the conflict, but it may be a prerequisite for a solution.

At this point, you’re probably wondering what any of this has to do with Darfur? It’s this. I’m convinced that Darfur, worthy a cause as it may be, is a handy way for American Jews, progressive and conservative alike, to avert our eyes from what’s going on in the Middle East. Taking up the plight of the Darfurians tells us that we’re still good people, still on the side of the oppressed and the brutalized. It’s a diversion from the reality that in the Middle East we’re siding with the guys with the tanks. I’m going to continue to participate in political activities in support of the people of Darfur. My sad, cynical take on the issue is no reason not to continue my involvement with a worthy cause. However, I can no longer avert my eyes from what’s taking place in Israel. I’m a Zionist with all my heart, but I can’t lie to myself anymore. Darfur is fine, but that doesn’t change what’s going on in Gaza.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home